Applegate, in Placer County, is a small town just northeast from Auburn and Meadow Vista on I80.
Applegate was originally settled in 1849 by Lisbon Applegate, having come to California with his son, George, from Missouri. Part of a family who first emigrated to America in the 17th century, the Applegates bought acreage above Clipper Gap, CA and established a fruit ranch there.
As the town grew it was called Bear River House due to its proximity to the Bear River, a short distance northwest. When a post office was established 1855, the community officially became known as Lisbon in honor of its founder. George W. Applegate became postmaster and in the 1870s, the settlement was renamed to Applegate also to honor its founder.
At one time, Applegate was a station on the Central Pacific Railroad (later Southern Pacific). When a second track was added in 1929, the station on the eastbound track was named East Applegate.
Now Applegate is a quiet community with homes on either side of I80.