According to a recent National Association of REALTORS® Home Buyer and Seller Generational Trends report...
• Eighty-seven percent of all buyers purchased their home through an agent, as did 90
percent of buyers 37 years and younger and 84 percent of buyers 63 years and older.
Nine percent of buyers 72 and older purchased their homes directly from the previous
• Buyers from all generations primarily wanted their agent’s help to find the right home to purchase at 52 percent. Buyers were also looking for help to negotiate the terms of sale and to help with price negotiations.
• Help understand the purchase process was most beneficial to 37 years and younger
buyers at 75 percent.
• Referrals continue to be the way that most buyers find their real estate agent. Referrals
by friends, neighbors, or relatives were higher among younger buyers such as 37 years
and younger (48 percent) and 38 to 52 (39 percent) compared to older generations.
• When choosing an agent to work with, working with an agent that is honest and
trustworthy was the most important factor for buyers.
• Seven in 10 buyers interviewed only one real estate agent during their home search.
• Eighty-nine percent of buyers would use their agent again or recommend their agent to
others, also consistent across all generations.